What is Food Additives(Type of Food Additives & Importance of Food Additives)2020.
Food Additives:-Food additives is a consumable substance that it added to any food to enhance its taste, appearance, texture and prevent it from becoming repugnant or in most cases rotten.
Food additives are substances added to product to perform specific technological function. These functions include prese to food for interest and variety .
Increasing shelf life of or inhibiting the growth of pathogens, or adding coloring and flavoring
- During processing ,small amounts of certain chemicals are often added.
- Basically, a food additive is something that doesn't normally occur in the food we eat, it has to be added.
- Food additives may be natural or artificial.
- Any substance that become part of food product either directly or indirectly during some phases of processing.
Any substance that becomes a part of a food product either directly or indirectly during some phase of processing, storage or packaging.
- Direct Additives
- Indirect Additives
List of Additives:
"Direct additives are those that are intentionally added to foods for a specific purpose".
- Anti-caking agent
- Non-nutritive sweeteners & Nutritive sweeteners
- Leavening agent
- Flavor enhancers
- Flavoring agent
- Antimicrobial agent
- Enzymes etc.
"Indirect additives are those which get included into foods accidentally during handling,processing and packaging".
List of Additives
- Metal, plastic, wood, paper etc.
- Packaging material
- Cleaning agents
- Solvent, lubricants
- Food contact material etc.
Types of food additives
1.Natural Food Additives
"The additives found naturally, such as extracted from beetroot juice (E162)used as a coloring agent".
"Those additive are Synthetic identical copies of substance found naturally, such as benzoic acid (E210) use as a preservative".
"The additives produced synthetically and not found naturally, such as nisin (E234) used as a preservative in some dairy products and in semolina and tapioca puddings".